Mitomycin-C Use and Complications in Ophthalmology
Published: 28 June, 2017 | Volume 1 - Issue 1 | Pages: 029-032
Mitomycin-C, first found its way into ophthalmic use in 1969, in Japan, where recurrent pterygia were successfully treated with the drug which is an antineoplastic / antibiotic agent isolated from the soil bacterium Streptomyces caespitosus . It is an anti-metabolite with anti-proliferative effect on cells showing the highest rate of mitosis by inhibiting DNA synthesis and interferes with RNA transcription and protein synthesis .
Read Full Article HTML
Cite this Article
Read Full Article PDF
- Kunitomoro N, Mori S. Studies on pterygium: Part 4, a treatment of pterygium by Mitomycin-C installation. Acta Soc Ophthalmol Jpn 1969; 67: 601-607.
- Singh P, Singh A. Mytomicin-C Use in Ophthalmology. IOSR Journal of Pharmacy. 2013; 3: 12-14. Ref.: https://goo.gl/bsz4qv
- Mudhol R, Zingade ND, Mudhol RS. Mitomycin C in Ophthalmology. Journal of the Scientific Society. 2012; 39: 4-6. Ref.: https://goo.gl/MQfsio
- Salmon SE, Sartorelli AC. Cancer chemotherapy. In: Katzung BG, editors. Basic and clinical pharmacology. 6th ed. Norwalk, CT: Appleton and Lange. 1995; Chap. 56.
- Hayasaka S, Noda S, Yamamoto Y, Setogawa T. Postoperative instillation of low-dose mitomycin C in the treatment of primary pterygium. Am J Ophthalmol. 1988; 106: 715. Ref.: https://goo.gl/i62iHp
- Agarwal HC, Sood NN, Sihota R, Sanga L, Honavar SG. Honavar SG Mitomycin-C in congenital glaucoma Ophthalmic Surg Lasers. 1997; 28: 979-85. Ref.: https://goo.gl/4m3QKD
- Agarwal HC, Saigal D, Sihota R. Assessing the role of subconjunctival versus intrascleral application of Mitomycin-C in highrisk trabeculectomies. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2001; 49: 91-95. Ref.: https://goo.gl/qejWSu
- Vigo L, Scandola E, Carones F. Scraping and Mitomycin C to treat haze and regression after photorefractive keratectomy for myopia. J Refract Surg. 2003; 19: 449-454. Ref.: https://goo.gl/SaQMbk
- Kao SC, Liao CL, Tseng JH, Chen MS, Hou PK. Dacryocystorhinostomy with intraoperative Mitomycin C. Ophthalmology. 1997; 104: 86-91. Ref.: https://goo.gl/mMhqzi
- Oh SO, Chang BL, Lee J. Effects of Mitomycin C on delayed adjustment in experimental strabismus surgery. Korean J Ophthalmol. 1995 ; 9: 51-58. Ref.: https://goo.gl/UQakEe
- Sodhi PK, Pandey RM, Ratan SK. Efficacy and safety of topical azelastine compared with topical Mitomycin C in patients with allergic conjunctivitis. Cornea. 2003; 22: 210-213. Ref.: https://goo.gl/kqjZBa
- Jain AK, Sukhija J. Low dose Mitomycin-C in severe vernal keratoconjunctivitis: a randomized prospective double blind study. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2006; 54: 111-116. Ref.: https://goo.gl/VBnPk9